Faculty of Science
School of Psychological Science
The School of Psychological Science at UWA is ranked 41st in the QS World University rankings by subject and the discipline was judged as "well above world standard" [the highest rating of 5] in all three Excellence in Research for Australia assessments, most recently in 2015. Only one other Australian university has achieved this maximum level of performance in Psychology across all three ERA rounds. The School hosts research programs in several centres, including the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders and the Autism Co-operative Research Centre. Additionally, a number of staff are funded by the Australian Research Council on prestigious Professorial Fellowships. Strong links have been developed with the UWA Business School and Energy and Minerals Institute, with collaborations including the Accelerated Learning Laboratory and Centre for Safety.
The School of Psychological Science is seeking an established academic leader specialising in the area of Industrial and Organisational (IO) Psychology, Organisational Behaviour (OB), or other similar discipline, to work with our team to lead our IO Psychology research group and to develop teaching and research capacity.
The School has identified IO Psychology as a core, strategic priority and UWA has a thriving community of IO and OB scholars, spanning the Schools of Psychological Science and Business. Together, they have highly productive research programs in such areas as work design, human-computer interaction, human error analysis, safety and safety leadership, applied motivation, intercultural capability, individual differences in applied settings, personnel assessment, selection, and recruitment. We also deliver growing masters level programs in the areas of IO Psychology and OB.
Supported by a high-profile team of academics, the successful candidate will be offered exciting opportunities to:
- Work alongside our collegial team of internationally recognised scholars of IO Psychology and OB within a University that is regarded as a world-class hub in these disciplines;
- Mentor junior IO Psychology and OB colleagues;
- Regularly meet international visiting scholars in the disciplines of IO Psychology and OB;
- Access high-quality PhD students within the School, of whom ~80% are successful in attracting scholarship funding;
- Supervise some of the country's highest-performing Honours and Masters research students, who are equipped with three to four years of scientific training;
- Lead curriculum development in the areas of IO and Business Psychology;
- Lead engagement with industry that results in research funding for applied projects; and
- Direct our growing Masters level programs that train the next generation of IO and Business Psychologists.
We are very interested in meeting collegial academics who:
- Have an established reputation in their discipline and a track record of research, teaching and academic leadership;
- Are keen and able to build research capacity a) by leading a research team producing theoretical and/or applied research of international quality, funded by competitive grants, and b) through collaboration with existing staff;
- Are inspired and inspiring teachers, supervisors and mentors of early-career professionals, academics, Honours, Masters, and PhD level students;
- Act in collaboration within and between disciplines;
- Are motivated to ensure that the School functions well.
Benefits and Conditions of Employment
- Tenurable position
- Employer contribution to superannuation is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Eligibility for sabbatical leave
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
- Access to testing space and computers
The School of Psychological Science has strongly embedded, collaborative ties both within the University, for example, with the UWA Business School, and beyond the University, with industry and defence, for example, with Defence Science and Technology – Group. These have led to the combined attraction of $4+ million in research funding in the last two years.
Closing date: Monday 5 June 2017
This position is open to international applicants.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and selection criteria are outlined in the Information for Candidates brochure. Applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria and include details specified on page 9 of the Information for Candidates brochure for specific information that must be included in the application.
Information for Candidates Brochure: Information for Candidate.pdf
Position Description: 316291 .pdf
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.