School of Earth Sciences
Australian Centre for Excellence in Antarctic Science
- An amazing opportunity to join an international centre with collaboration from Antarctic research community and major international research network to help the world community to prepare for climate risks emerging from East Antarctica and the Southern Ocean
- Level B, full-time appointment on fixed term basis for two years, commencing from January 2023
- Base salary range: $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities.? With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Australian Centre for Excellence in Antarctic Science (ACEAS) is a major $25M Special Research Initiative of the Australian Research Council.
The goal of ACEAS is to help the world community prepare for climate risks emerging from East Antarctica and the Southern Ocean by integrating knowledge of the ocean, atmosphere, cryosphere and ecosystems, and their interplay. ACEAS is a national-scale, University-led centre for excellence in Antarctic science focused on this goal.
ACEAS is led by the University of Tasmania with a range of Australian and International Partners (https://antarctic.org.au/). The University of Western Australia is excited to be one of the partners in ACEAS.
You will be part of the ACEAS team of around 150 researchers, administrative staff, and students, with exciting opportunities to collaborate across disciplinary and institutional boundaries.
About the opportunity
In this position you will focus on making new interpretations of subglacial geology to characterise the ice sheet bed and constrain bed-conditions for a better knowledge of glacial processes. You will engage broadly with the UWA research community and with the Antarctic research community within ACEAS and through major international research networks. You will contribute to co-supervision of postgraduate students within ACEAS.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Geophysics, Geology or Physical Geography
- Ability, commensurate with experience, to deliver high-quality research outputs including peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations
- Experience working with gravity, magnetic and topographic datasets. Experience obtained in a subglacial geology context is strongly preferred
- Skill in numerical data analysis, potentially including geophysical inversion, machine learning or data science methods
- Highly developed organisational skills with the ability to show initiative, problem solve, self-manage priorities and to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a research team covering multiple disciplines and achieve collective as well as individual outcomes
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Research Fellow (ACEAS) 510405.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: Friday, 21 October 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Dr Alan Aitken on firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021)
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020
Assistance and Support
UWA is committed to inclusive recruitment and is happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. If you have queries in relation to the application process, please contact email@example.com referencing the 6-digit job reference number and type of communication you prefer, and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.