Postdoctoral Research Associate
Job no: 509135
Work type: full time
Categories: Science, Health and Medical Sciences
School of Human Sciences
- Great opportunity for a cardiovascular postdoc researcher looking to enhance their career
- Full time, fixed term appointment for 12 months
- Salary range: Level A $ 72,780 - $97,946 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The School of Human Sciences is a large multi-disciplinary School with research and teaching focused on better understanding what it is to be human, from our structure, function, development and genetics, to adaptation, performance and evolution. This position will be based in the Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Laboratory reporting to Research Professor Livia Hool.
About the opportunity
In this position, you will be working on characterising L-type calcium channel function and mitochondrial function in in vitro models and murine CRISPR mutant models. You will plan and develop a range of research activities and contribute to research reports and seminar presentations. You will also be expected to publich academic papers and apply for competitive travel grants. You will be responsible for supervising and assisting both staff and students in laboratory skills.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant degree and post graduate qualification in physiology or pharmacology or molecular science or biochemistry
- Experience in molecular biology and preparation of mutant constructs and transfection of contructs in culture cell lines is highly desirable
- Experience in animal physiology (measurement of cardiac contractile function by left ventricular catheterisation, echocardiography), and biochemistry (immunoblot and/or western blot technique, fluorescent detection of calcium and/or mitochondrial function) are highly desirable
- Experience and willingness to supervise students and/or staff
- Knowledge of safety issues relating to the use of laboratory equipment and chemicals
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Postdoctoral Research Associate 509135.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: Tuesday, 31 May 2022
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
UWA has in place a temporary COVID-19 Premises Access Direction to help protect the University community’s health and safety. This means you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status (or have a Vaccination Exemption Statement) as a condition of entry to all UWA buildings and enclosed outdoor structures.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time