Systems Biology and Genomics
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research
- Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 24 months
- Base salary range: Level A $74,236 – $99,905 OR Level B $105,043 - $124,301 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
This position is based within the Systems Biology and Genomics Laboratory, led by Professor Alistair Forrest and is part of the UWA Centre for Medical Research within the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, based at Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (Perkins) in Nedlands.
The Forrest lab is comprised of molecular, cellular and computational biologists, forming a multi-disciplinary team environment undertaking a diverse range of genomics and cancer single cell research. We are leading the Western Australian Cancer Single Cell initiative which is using single cell, single nuclei and spatial transcriptomic profiling to characterize hundreds of tumour samples kindly donated by patients around Perth.
About the opportunity
You will have the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team of molecular biologists and bioinformaticians that are applying experimental and computational approaches to map ligand-receptor interactions in normal and tumour tissues.
Your role will be in the development of cell-based and ex-vivo tissue assays coupled with single cell and spatial transcriptomics to study interactions between cell types.
You will under minimal supervision, trial different approaches to map cell-to-cell communication networks using single cell and spatial assays. You will work to develop methods, interpret results and write manuscripts. This position will provide the opportunity to learn a wide variety of methods in biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and bioinformatics.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD or equivalent in cell biology, developmental biology, molecular biology, pharmacology, genomics, systems biology, cancer biology, pathology or related fields.
- Highly experienced in the use of cell and/or ex-vivo tissue culture to study any aspect of human and/or mammalian biology
- Demonstrated capacity to form hypotheses, test them and follow through to draft and publish papers in any of the above areas
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and maintenance of highly accurate and comprehensive records
- The ability to supervise research assistants and students
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Associate_Forrest Lab_June 2022_Final PD.pdf
The content of your Resume and Cover Letter should demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria.
In line with the Western Australia COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Programme the successful applicant for this position will be required to provide proof of their full COVID-19 vaccination status (or have a Vaccination Exemption Statement) before commencing work at UWA.
Closing date: 11:55PM on Wednesday, 24 August 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Amy Marks on firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021)
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020
Assistance and Support
UWA is committed to inclusive recruitment and is happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. If you have queries in relation to the application process, please contact email@example.com referencing the 6-digit job reference number and type of communication you prefer, and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.