UWA School of Agriculture and Environment
- Researcher with experience and skills in genomics or molecular biology to work in an exciting research initiative funded by the DNA Zoo Australia
- Level A, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 2 years
- Base salary range: $74,236 - $99,905 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
DNA Zoo Australia (DZA), research initiative with the University of Western Australia dedicated to generating high-quality genomic resources for Western Australia species and a member of a global comparative genomics consortium, is looking for an experienced computational biologist to advance DNA Zoo’s mission to leverage comparative genomic data to improve ecosystem stability and human health. DZA provides computational and analytic resources to advance scientific discovery through its multi-disciplinary team of wet-lab and computational scientists who work on collaborative projects both within Australia and with the global members of the DNA Zoo community.
About the opportunity
This position will give you the opportunity to lead generating new genomic and epigenomic datasets. This will include developing sustainable integrated genome sequencing products that empower DNA Zoo Australia to explore, analyse and interpret their comparative genomic data.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Postgraduate qualifications in genomics or molecular biology or a combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Proficient in DNA and RNA extractions, short and long read sequencing, library preparation methods, have genome assembly workflow experience
- Substantial experience in next generation sequencing and genome analysis
- Familiar with genome assembly experimental workflows
- Proficiency in a range of sequencing workflows including long read, short read and HiC
- Substantial relevant experience in writing scientific manuscripts and reports
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, problem solve and work productively as part of a team
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Research Associate - Genomics or Molecular Biology 513035.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday, 11 December 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Associate Professor Parwinder Kaur on Parwinder.Kaur@uwa.edu.au
This position is open to international applicants.
Note: Any relocation and visa application will be the applicant’s responsibility.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.