International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR)
- Lead research projects and learn new skills in a dynamic and supportive team environment
- 2-year fixed-term full time opportunity- flexible working arrangements are supported such as part time work or school hours
- Base salary range: Level C $128,152 – $147,413 p.a. (pro rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
ICRAR is a WA State funded high profile equal joint venture established in 2009 between Curtin University and The University of Western Australia (UWA). The Centre’s headquarters are located at UWA, with research nodes at both UWA and Curtin. ICRAR is one of the largest astronomy institutions and one of the lead Australian organisations participating in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Project. ICRAR has been further funded from 2019 to 2024 with $25 Million by the WA State Government and equal contribution from the Joint Venture Universities. The Data Intensive Astronomy (DIA) program of ICRAR has secured a contract to participate in the software development of the SKA for the whole construction period until 2028.
About the opportunity
As a Senior Research Fellow you will use your skills and experience in advanced data science technologies to contribute to the DIA program of the ICRAR.
You will lead and initiate cutting edge data science research projects that draw on your data science expertise. You will also be uniquely placed to contribute to a range of other projects within SKA, both directly supporting and working with ICRAR scientists, but also working with cross-disciplinary teams within UWA and with industry. This is an exciting opportunity to develop new projects, expand your research repertoire and learn new skills.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in a scientific field, computer science or software engineering.
- Demonstrated ability in the creation of custom-built vision and/or time-sequence models and assess and present their quality using frameworks and toolkits like pytorch, tensorflow, mxnet, scipy and matplotlib or similar
- Experience or expertise in statistical data analysis and programming
- Ability to identify and publish new and interesting research opportunities and publish them
- Excellent team player with the ability to collaborate with diverse groups
We can offer flexible working arrangements to fit in with your family’s requirements or personal wellbeing. However since the SKA and our other activities are global, we do have to attend occasional on-line meetings after hours. There will also be occasional domestic or international travel required.
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD 510191.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Monday, 22 August 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Prof. Andreas Wicenec by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goals.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021)
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020
UWA is committed to inclusive recruitment and is happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. If you have queries in relation to the application process, please contact email@example.com referencing the 6-digit job reference number and type of communication you prefer, and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.